To say that this angers and upsets me is an understatement. This is an embarrassment to our state. Our cool, hip, "in the know", liberal state! The state that, in my opinion, pioneered the gay movement (or whatever you wish to call it) with San Francisco.
The fear of our conservative inhabitants astounds me. People that say we need to uphold the teachings of traditional marriage in our schools are using the "kid card". What schools are these people sending their kids to??!!! I don't remember learning about marriage, of any kind, in school.
Furthermore, I have news for these parents...your kid is still going to be gay! A teacher can illustrate a man & a woman in class, but your child is destined to be his or her true, beautiful self. Sexuality is not a wild card. The wild card is how a parent decides to handle it. And banning same sex marriage does not help us get any closer to a unified humanity.
In a time where we are trying to regain hope and unity, this teaches intolerance! What world are we living in when people think having more happy, loving couples is a bad thing? What world are we living in when we deny someone their rights?
There is so much to say about this issue & I am preaching to the choir. And oh how I love you, my liberal, open minded, tolerant friends! Some of you fought the fight. I thank you.
Many songs come to mind today. All the freedom fighters of the 60's said it well. And the music that bloomed from those times touches me deeply. But for whatever reason, I keep going back to the song, "One" by U2. I want to recommend the version by U2 and Mary J. Blige, for something a little different. "One" is a song we all know & love. This version cuts to the heart of the matter. And Mary J's vocals are exquisite.
And these lines in particular:
"Love is a temple
Love a higher law"
"One love
One blood
One life
You've got to do what you should"
Love IS a higher law! The one thing the Supreme Court cannot take away is the amazing love these couples share. I have seen it in my friends. Some of whom have been together for over 20 years! Tell me we cannot learn something from them! Tell me they would not provide a stable, loving home for a child! I dare you!
Keep fighting.