Thursday, May 21, 2009

RIP Dolla

If you live in Los Angeles, you most likely heard that young rapper, Dolla, was shot yesterday outside The Beverly Center. He was 23.

Stories are swarming as to why he was the victim of this brutal murder. I read that he was involved in a fight at a club in Atlanta a couple of weeks ago. Rivalry, money, fame? It made me think about Tupac and Biggie Smalls and all the controversy surrounding their murders. 

Many of you may be surprised to know that I am a huge fan of hip/hop. I am, truly! From "pimpin", to "frontin" to "swagga", I have been there. And yes, I wonder about myself as I sing along to songs I won't be able to play once I am a mother. But I love the deep, driving beat. I love the sound. And I am mystified and intrigued by a lot of what these artists are singing about. 

When Sean and I were watching the news about Dolla I said, "It's really so sad." Then he said "It's everything they sing about." Which is true! Life cut short, deadly rivalry, trying to escape their former lives.

So this week I am recommending "My Life" by The Game. It's raw, honest and tough...all with a plea:

"Take me away from the hood like a state penitentiary.
Take me away from the hood in a casket or a Bentley."

"Dear Lord, you've took so many of my people. 
I'm just wondering why you haven't taken my life.
Like what the hell am I doing right?"

I know this isn't for everyone, but after yesterday's news, this seemed fitting. Whatever your music taste, sample the 30 seconds on itunes, if only to hear The Game's soul filled voice...he knows of what he sings!